The City of Lewiston was incorporated by the Washington Territorial Legislature on January 15, 1863. The creation of Idaho Territory in March 1863, extinguished the laws of Washington as far as they applied to Idaho, and the Idaho Territorial Legislature enacted a new charter incorporating the City of Lewiston on December 27, 1866. On October 30, 1969, the City of Lewiston was reorganized under the provision of the state law, 1967, Chapter 429.
Lewiston lies on the western central border of Idaho, approximately 270 miles north of Boise, Idaho, and 110 miles south of Spokane, Washington. It is the county seat of Nez Perce County and serves a market and trade area of approximately 150,000 people in the surrounding area. Lewiston is “Idaho’s Only Seaport”, connected to the Pacific Ocean by way of the Columbia/Snake River Navigation system. Lewiston’s population is estimated at 32,000, with a Valley-wide population in excess of 50,000.