What I liked
I've worked as a full-stack developer intern at Cassian for three months last summer and I had a great experience there.
About my experience:
1. technical skills development: The most obvious and direct experience I gained was technical skills development. Prior to this internship, I only had some front-end and minimal backend development experiences. During the internship, I practiced and learned problem-solving, frontend programming with React.js and Material UI, backend programming with React.js and Chi, database management with MySQL, communication, and collaboration in a team...
2. autonomy over tasks: while participating in the sprint planning, I was encouraged to share my opinions and expectations on the tasks. I was free to discuss the tasks content and time for completing it in the team.
3. broadened responsibility and skillsets: In a startup environment, you can directly talk to CTO and project manager and if you’re interested, you will get many opportunities to explore areas that’re not directly related to your job. For example, although I was working as a full-stack developer, I am also interested in UI design, such that the team gave me opportunities to experience it.
About the company:
1. clear company mission: When I was talking with my mentors, the impression was that they are very clear about the company mission and future path. During a talk with the CTO, he generously shared the motivation, current plan, and future blueprint of the company, as well as experiences and lessons about entrepreneurship and building a startup.
2. friendly and supportive environment: my mentors were extremely helpful and supportive throughout the internship. For example, whenever I faced a technical problem, my mentors always patiently and detailedly instructed me on how to deconstruct and solve those problems. In addition, we also had several cookouts together!